Sir Henry Compton, of Brambletye built the house which now stands in ruins. He was a son of Sir Henry, afterwards Baron, Compton, of Compton Wynyates, Warwick. He married, firstly, Cecille, daughter of Robert, Earl of Dorset, and, secondly, Mrs. Mary Paston, a daughter of Sir George Browne. Sir Henry, for many years, held the post of Ranger of Ashdown Forest and he was apparently a very easygoing official, for there are several instances on record, in Parliamentary reports, of his allowing people to erect houses on the Forest and enclose portions of it "contrary to the laws in force" and exempting the tenants from all rents or service for the same. He was returned as member of Parliament for East Grinstead in 1601, 1603, 1620, 1625, 1627 and 1639.
The Weald is at Database version 12.3 which has ongoing updates to the 379,102 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,308 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 242 books loaded in the previous version