The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
Holy Trinity Church    High Hurstwood  Buxted  Consecrated 1871
Parish records Before
1500
1500
to
1550
1550
to
1600
1600
to
1650
1650
to
1700
1700
to
1725
1725
to
1750
1750
to
1775
1775
to
1800
1800
to
1825
1825
to
1850
1850
to
1875
1875
to
1900
1900
to
1925
1925
to
1950
1950
to
1975
1975
to
2000
After
2000

52Christenings7396
12Marriages444
2Burials2
 

Books and other documents
PublishedTitle, author and references
1870A Compendious History of Sussex - Volume I. by Mark Antony Lower, M.A.p. 95
1874Ecclesiastical History of the Deannery of South Malling by Edwin Hadlow W. Dunkin ⇒ p. 23
1929Buxted The Beautiful by K. H. Macdermott ⇒ p. 33

Historical records

1871HistoryHoly TrinityBuxted The Beautiful
The church of Holy Trinity, High Hurstwood, was consecrated in 1871. It is small and solidly built of stone, but is of no particular interest.

1872 to 1874Occupation Vicar of HurstwoodReverend Charles Swainson, M.A.Holy Trinity ChurchBuxted The Beautiful

1874Directory entryHoly Trinity ChurchPost Office Directory
Holy Trinity church is at HighHurst Wood: the chancel ceiling is most elaborately decorated, and the west window, a fine specimen of stained glass, the work of, and presented by, the Lady Catherine J. V. Harcourt: the bells, 2 in number, were the gift of Coventry Patmore, esq. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £220, in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and held by the Rev. C. Swainson, M.A., of ChristChurch, Oxford.

1874 to 1881Occupation Vicar of HurstwoodReverend Edward Sanderson, M.A.Holy Trinity ChurchBuxted The Beautiful

c 1875Highhurst Wood, South West of Crowborough - c 1875Part of the 6 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1875 by Ordnance SurveyHoly Trinity Church

1881 to 1925Occupation Vicar of HurstwoodReverend Thomas Constable, M.A.Holy Trinity ChurchBuxted The Beautiful

1882Directory entryHoly Trinity ChurchKelly's Directory
Holy Trinity church consists of chancel, nave, north aisle and a bell-cote, containing 2 bells, the gift of Coventry Patmore esq.: the chancel ceiling is elaborately decorated and the west window is a good specimen of stained glass, the work of and presented by the late Lady Catherine J. V. Harcourt, there are four other stained windows. The register dates from the year 1871. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £320, with residence, in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury and held since 1881 by the Rev. Thomas Constable M.A. of Hertford College, Oxford.
.............
hours of service Holy Trinity Church, High-Hurst wood, Rev. Thomas Constable M.A. vicar ; 11 a.m. & 3 p.m

1905Church and Vicarage, High Hurst WoodChurch and Vicarage, High Hurst Wood, BuxtedPrivate collection

c 1920Holy Trinity ChurchHoly Trinity Church, High Hurstwood photographed by Francis FrithPrivate collection

1925 to 1929Occupation Vicar of HurstwoodReverend Stanley Burroughs KingHoly Trinity ChurchBuxted The Beautiful

1929Occupation Vicar of HurstwoodReverend Hugh M. HerbertHoly Trinity ChurchBuxted The Beautiful

The Weald is at  Database version 12.4 which has ongoing updates to the 379,932 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,308 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 244 books loaded in the previous version

Fasthosts web site  
ODNB  
British Libarary  
High Weald  
Sussex Family History Group  
Sussex Record Society  
Sussex Archaeological Society  
Kent Archaeological Society  
Mid Kent Marriages  
Ancestry  
Genes Reunited  
International Genealogical Index  
National Archives  

Top
of the
page