The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
St. Dunstan's Bridge      Mayfield  
Historical records

c 980HistorySt. Dunstan's BridgeFoster
St Dunstan's connection with Mayfield appears to be genuine, his biographer states clearly that he founded a wooden church at "Mayhfeld" and finding it incorrectly orientated miraculously pushed it into correct alignment.
Later according to the well known legend, while working as was his custom, at his Mayfield forge, he had avision of the Devil disguised as a beautiful woman, but seeing through the deception, the Saint grabbed him by the nose with his pincers causing the devil to leap to cool his nose first in the stream at Dunstans Bridge and then in the Tunbridge Wells springs.
The reputed tongs can still be seen at the Convent and the iron from the forge may have come from the ancient workings found lately below Court Meadow.
In these legends can be traced some of the authentic characteristics of the Saint as architect, craftsman and mystic.
from Chapter Two - Roman and Saxon times - Mayfield a History by Major R. C. G. Foster, M.C.

c 1875St Dunstans Bridge & Bungehurst Farm, South of Mayfield - c 1875Part of the 6 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1875 by Ordnance SurveySt Dunstans Bridge

The Weald is at  Database version 12.4 which has ongoing updates to the 379,932 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,308 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 244 books loaded in the previous version

Fasthosts web site  
ODNB  
British Libarary  
High Weald  
Sussex Family History Group  
Sussex Record Society  
Sussex Archaeological Society  
Kent Archaeological Society  
Mid Kent Marriages  
Ancestry  
Genes Reunited  
International Genealogical Index  
National Archives  

Top
of the
page