The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
The Workhouse      Rotherfield  

Books and other documents
PublishedTitle, author and references
1928Rotherfield - The Story of some Wealden Manors by Catharine Pulleinp. 257

Historical records

30th Nov 1821BirthSamuel Holmwood, whitesmithPoorhouseKen Homewood's records

before 1834HistoryThe WorkhouseOur Village
The Workhouse - Before the Act of 1834 did away with the small village workhouses and created the Unions, the row of houses between the entrance to Court Meadow and the DIY shop, with other buildings since pulled down where the blacksmith's yard is, was the old workhouse. An outer door high up in the side of the end house abutting on the yard, which was reached by an outside stair only removed within the last half century or so, was that of the Relieving Room, where, as well as the ordinary parochial relief, the Fermor Dole was in the past distributed, which was mainly corn.
The dress of the old men inmates was a smock frock and straw hat and there was a special pew in St. Denys, since taken away, where the pauper men and women sat.
from Our Village, written and published by The Rotherfield History Research Group in 1979

1835BirthStephen Gilbert

The Weald is at  Database version 13.2 which has ongoing updates to the 390,905 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,308 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 247 books loaded in the previous version

Fasthosts web site  
British Libarary  
High Weald  
Sussex Family History Group  
Sussex Record Society  
Sussex Archaeological Society  
Kent Archaeological Society  
Mid Kent Marriages  
Genes Reunited  
International Genealogical Index  
National Archives  

of the