The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
Historical notes about Buxted
1248HistoryBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
In 1248 a dreadful murder took place which must have caused a great outcry in the neighbourhood. "Unknown malefactors came in the night to the house of Aldith of Bokstede, and killed Aldith and her daughter Alice. Gilbert de la Hethe and Simon Alry were accused of the death of the aforesaid Aldith and Alice; and they fled to the Church of Meanling [to claim sanctuary] and Gilbert confessed before the coroner and abjured the realm, but Simon was found not guilty."
1252HistoryBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
St. Margaret's Church was built in the middle of the 13th century and is reputed to have been consecrated in 1252, and no doubt it was due to the recent enrolment of Margaret among the saints that the church was dedicated in her honour. Local sandstone was used in the building of it and the plan included a nave, two aisles, north transept, chancel, tower and porch, with a vestry added later.
1279 to 1351HistoryBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
The earliest reference to a lord of the manor of Buxted seems to be that in a Patent Roll of 1279, recording a plain made by Thomas de Marinis that certain evil-doers broke into his park of Bocstede and hunted therein. The next successor mentioned is a member of the same family, Roger Marynes (in 1298), who was succeeded by Thomas Marynes in the following year.
Roger de Marynes became tenant for life of "the manor of Bocstede" (the first recorded use of that title) in 1330.
From 1331, Joane Marynes was tenant for life, but the inheritance was in Isabell of Grovehurst.
1291HistoryBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
In the Papal Registers under the date of 1291, a mandate was issued by the Pope to the Archbishop of Canterbury “to grant a licence, on the representation of John, Rector of Bocstede in the Dioc. of Chichester for building a chapel within the limits of his parish for the inhabitants of the town of Gelderegge (Gillridge) who in winter are hindered by floods and bad roads from coming to church and at present go to the neighbouring church of Withyhame, to the injury of the said rectory, it being exempt from the jurisdiction of the Bp. of Chichester and subject to the Archbishop.”
Dec 1298HistoryBocstedeBuxted The Beautiful
John de Lewes built the chancel of [St Margaret's] Church, wherein he was buried. The date of his death is unknown, but his tombstone still exists. Admonished in 1310 to reside in his rectory at Bocstede from which he had absented himself without just cause
c 1350PopulationBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
…. the population of Buxted in the 14th century was very small. On a rough reckoning it was perhaps only between 200 and 300, and there was no shop at all in the parish.
1352 to 1523HistoryBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
Sir Galfredus de Say held it [the manor of Bocstede] in 1352, and it continued in his family for thirty years, when John de Say died seized of this manor in his minority, leaving it to Elizabeth, his sister and heiress. It continued in the de Say family down to 1397 when Sir J. de Clynton [who had married Idonea de Say] held the manor.
William Heron [who had married Elizabeth de Say] was his successor (1403), but the de Clyntons again held it (1432).
Then it passed to the Lewknors, by whom it was sold in 1523 to the Walleys.
30th Oct 1404HistoryBuxtedHorsfield's Sussex
William Heron, Lord Say, by his testament bearing date Oct. 30, 1404 (6th Henry IV), appointed Sir Robert Pebelow, Parson of Westbourne, Sir Piers, Vicar of Bourne, feoffees of the Brewose his lands, which fell to Elizabeth Lady Say, his wife, by inheritance, should deliver all those lands unto her next heir, on the Brewose his side, charging them as they could answer at the day of doom, to compleat an hospital which was begun at the church of Buckstead, of six or four poor men at least; and a chantry priest to govern them, the priest to have for his support ten marks, and every poor man five marks per annum.
1492HistoryBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
The earliest local reference [to the Iron Industry of the area] is in a Court Roll of Lambeth, dated 1492, wherein is a note of the payment of £67 0s. 2d. "to the Iernefounders of Buxstede."
1523 to 1620HistoryBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
It [the manor of Bocstede] was sold to the Walleys, who held possession for 98 years, though it was leased for a time to J. Comber and T. Mychelborne, in 1563.
1543HistoryBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
One of the most famous iron-masters of England was Ralph Hogge of Buxted, who, according to the Victoria History of Sussex, cast the first English iron cannon at Buxted in 1543. He was assisted by Peter Baude, a French brass-gunfounder of Houndsditch.
The name Hogge is assumed to be the same as Huggett, according to a local couplet on the event that has reaped more fame than it merits.
“Master Huggett and his man John
They did cast the first cannon.”
22nd Jun 1557HistoryBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
Extract from MacDermott's Buxted the Beautiful
Richard Woodman, who was born in Buxted in 1524 came of a good family and was brought up to the staple trade of the district—the iron industry. He was well educated for those days, knowing something of Latin as well as English, and was a staunch upholder of the Reformation, never fearing to defend his views and attack his opponents with vigour and boldness. True to his principles, Woodman on one occasion straitly rebuked George Fayrebank, Rector of Warbleton, who had teen a zealous Protestant at one time but had conveniently become converted to Romanism in Queen Mary's reign. Fayrebank appealed to the magistracy and Woodman was brought before a local bench, who committed him to the King's Bench, where he was kept for 18 months before being examined. He was liberated for a short time but was again sought for and apprehended through the agency of his father, brother and other pretended friends.
Woodman was examined by Bishop Christopherson, of Chichester, and others, being accused of preaching at a fair, of baptising children and marrying folks. One of the examiners, Dr. Story, called him a heretic, a madman, worse than the Devil, and said he should be burned in less than six days. Woodman displayed great boldness at all these questionings and often in his Protestant zeal sharply twitted his accusers with falsehood and wrong belief.
At four later examinations one of them was conducted by Dr. Langdale, Rector of Buxted, who was one of the specially chosen champions of the Roman Catholics. Woodman was condemned to death and was burnt in the market place of Lewes on 22nd June, 1557, nine others being burnt at the same time.
1568HistoryBuxtedLower's Sussex
Earliest Parish Registers
1582HistoryBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
In a deed dated 23rd year of Queen Elizabeth (1582) the Court of the Manor of “Buxstyd” granted to William Awcoke a small piece of land adjoining the cemetery of the parish church, extending to the “shop of Thomas Collyn " on the east side. This is the earliest reference to the existence of the village near the church that we have found. It shows that the village was of some size, or there would not have been a shop in it. The houses were chiefly of the half-timbered 16th century style.
1597 to 1598HistoryBuxtedBuckhurst Terrier
Sir John Sackville, who was sheriff of Surrey and Sussex in the reign of Henry VIII, married Margaret Boleyn, the aunt of Queen Anne Boleyn, so that his son Richard was that queen's first cousin. This Richard Sackville was a man of outstanding ability.......He grew very rich by dealings in land in many counties, often the former possessions of suppressed chantrys and of attainted noblemen, his name appears more frequently in the Close Rolls of that period than that of any other person ............ It was jestingly said of him that his name should be Fillsack, not Sackville. He acquired the lands of the Chantry of St. Marie in 1550, those of the Fraternity of St. Katherine probably at about the same time, Tablehurst in 1559, Imberhorne in 1560, and Alchorne in 1564............... The manor of Broome, which included the greater part of the village of Hartfield, was purchased some time after 1584. Collinghurst was also in his possession at the time of his death, April 21, 1564. His only son Thomas, born in 1536, was one of the most prominent men of his time. In his earlier years a poet, he was a favourite of Elizabeth I, his second cousin.... On the 8th of June, 1567, he was knighted, and on the same day created a baron under the title of Lord Buckhurst. Alter many services to the State he was made Lord High Treasurer in May, 1599. .......Soon after succeeding to the estates at the death of his father he set about the acquisition by purchase and exchange of further manors in the vicinity of Buckhurst......The manor of Withyham, called Mounkencourts or Munkloe 1569-70; the manors of Sheffield and Tarring Peverell 1570; Ridgehill 1576; Bolebrook 1590; Lavertie 1591; Framfield in 1592; Blackham 1592; Birchden, 1595; and Bullockstown in 1585.....Sir Thomas Sackville, Lord Buckhurst, had thus in 1597 in his possession seventeen manors in north-east Sussex, including the manor of Buckhurst, as well as several others in the southern part of the rape. In view of the many recent acquisitions, and the number of leases that had been granted since 1592, it was expedient to record the seventeen in a Terrier in 1597-8
1610[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by John Norden and augmented by John SpeedBuckstedJohn Speed
The first engraved maps of the counties of Great Britain were the work of Christopher Saxton who, under the authority of the Privy Council, surveyed the English counties in Elizabethan times, from 1574 to 1578. In 1593 he was followed by John Norden who projected an ambitious scheme for a complete series of county histories. He published before his death a number of counties - Middlesex, Hertfordshire, Essex, Northampton, Cornwall, Sussex and Surrey. John Speed's map of Sussex is based upon Norden's map and was engraved by Jodocus Hondius. It occupies pages nine and ten of John Speed's Atlas entitled "The Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine", is 20 1/4 inches by 15 1/4 inches in size and shows additionally an interesting plan of Chichester and a spirited representation of the Battle of Hastings.
1620 to 1684HistoryBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
Richard and Edward Amherst then bought it [the manor of Bocstede] for the sum of £2,500, together with Buxted Place and lands, containing in all 327 acres.
In the next year, 1621, the manor and 160 acres of land were conveyed to Edward Lyndsey; then after his widow's occupation, to Stephen Penkhurst, who leased it to Symon Adams, and in 1652 to J. Marsham for a while. The yearly value of the lands, quit rents, tithes, etc., was stated to be £1,587 in 1649.
Then it was leased in 1679 to J. Pollexfen.
In 1684, Sir J. Marsham had the lease of Buxted Manor.
27th Nov 1644HistoryBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
One noteworthy incident occurred in the Civil War. A sermon was preached before the members of the House of Commons by a minister of Buckstead and published by order. The circumstances are explained in the title-page thereof:
“A Firebrand Pluckt out of the Burning: A Sermon Preached at Margaret's Westminster, before the Honourable House of Commons at their late solemn Fast. Novemb. 27 1644. Published by Order of the Said House. By Benjamin Pikering, Minister of God's Word at Buckstead in Sussex; and a member of the Assembly of Divines.”
The sermon is a diatribe against the enemies of the Parliament, while the brand plucked out of the burning represents God's people, the Puritans, delivered by “Our potent Army and prudent Parliament” out of the power of the Royalists and Roman Catholics.
1645[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by Jan BlaeuBuckstedJan Blaeu
1695[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by Robert MordenBuckstedRobert Morden
Robert Morden was a London bookseller from 1669 until his death in 1703. He specialised in the geographical field and was himself something of a cartographer and a publisher. Throughout the 17th and most of the 18th centuries, there was little distinction between the activity of book or print-selling and that of publishing: many booksellers were also printers or engravers. They undertook the sale of each others' work and often combined to meet the high cost of publishing a new map or reissue of an old atlas, even if the original plates were still available. This map was published in Brittania: a chorographical description of Great Britain and Ireland by William Camden.
1711 to 1722HistoryBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
Humphrey Fowle of Rotherfield, a connection by marriage of the Penkhurst family, purchased the manor [of Bocstede] in 1711; he sold it in 1722 to Thomas Medley of Conyborough, Barcombe, who marked his ownership by pulling down the old mansion, which stood on low ground at the end of the lime-tree avenue in the Park, and building the present house on the higher ground nearer the Church.
31st Oct 1718HistoryBuxtedBrooker's Guide
by his will …… Dr Anthony Saunders provided for the gratuitous education of twelve boys, six of Buxted and six of Uckfield; and bequeathed his library to it, for the use of the schoolmaster and scholars for the time being.
1722 to 1796HistoryBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
Through the Medleys the [Buxted] estate passed in succession as follows:-
c 1724Buxstead, Sussex - c 1724Part of the 1 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1724 by Richard BudgenBuxstead
19th Dec 1742HistoryBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
A pathetic incident occurred in 1742. James Atkinson of London was to have married Mary Relfe of Buxted on December 19th, but Mary fell ill a short while before the day and died. Mr. Atkinson, although in good health at the time, took to his bed and, all consolation and medical help failing to rouse him, died of a broken heart exactly one week after his beloved Mary. They were buried side by side in Maresfield churchyard, the burial of James taking place on the day fixed for the wedding.

Jeremiah Milles recounts a journey from London to Tunbridge Wells, Rye, Winchelsea, Hastings, Battle and Lewes. Begun August 20th, finished September 2nd, 1743

Jeremiah was born at Highclere, Hampshire in 1714, educated at Eton and Oxford. In 1741 he was elected a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries and in the following year he became a Fellow of the Royal Society. The office of Precentor of Exeter Cathedral in 1747 was followed by that of Dean in 1762.

Jeremiah Milles was at the time of his journeys through Sussex in August and September 1743 aged 29, unmarried, of independant means, with marked antiquarian interests and well travelled.

At the end of his journey he leaves Lewes for Tunbridge Wells …

"About eight miles from Lewes I passed through a small town called Uckfield, and a little beyond it on the right hand side Mr Medley is building a fine seat at a place called Buxted. About two mile further I came to a great heath which is part of Ashdown forest, and ascending very gently for near a mile came to the summit of the hill, where there was formerly a beacon: it is still called Crowburrow Beacon. From hence there is a most glorious prospect every way, eastward over the Weald of Sussex into Kent, southward as far as the sea, westward as far as Lewes and the downs about it, and northward of the forests of Ashdown and Waterdown and into Surrey. A gardener has built a house on the very summit of this bleak hill and has found means to raise hedges and to make a most beautiful little garden, though the whole does not enclose an acre of ground. It must be a delightful place in summer, but it is most excessively bleak and exposed to the wind. This is about 14 miles from Lewes and eight from Tunbridge Wells. Descending the hill I went in an enclosed country 'til I came within two miles of the Wells, when I came on the forest of Waterdown, which brought me late that night to Tunbridge Wells. These 22 miles from Lewes are very long and tedious, especially the first fourteen."

1750SussexSussex by Thomas KitchinBuxteadThomas Kitchin
Thomas Kitchin, an engraver and publisher from c.1738 to 1776, held the appointment of Hydrographer to the King. His output was prolific. He engraved the maps of the British and French dominions in North America by John Mitchell (1755), which was used at the peace coucil at the end of the revolutionary war. In his later years he worked with his son (hence senior after his name in the c.1755 edition of the Small English Atlas). He died in 1784.
c 1750HistoryBuxtedHorsfield's Sussex
Buxted Place, the seat of the Earl of Liverpool, is a noble mansion built of brick, and displaying the utmost simplicity of architecture. It was begun about the middle of last century [i.e. c 1750], by Edward Medley, Esq., Barrister at Law, and was finished by his nephew, George Medley, Esq., who, as a wine merchant in Portugal, amassed an immense property; a part of which, however, he lost in the ravges occasioned by the memorable earthquake in Lisbon, in the year 1755.
Settling at Buxted, he for many parliaments represented the borough of Seaford, and afterwards East Grinstead.
1756HistoryBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
The Bounds of Buxted Parish against Framfield begin from the side of the old River, now fill'd up, below the Fulling Mill in Hempstead Bottoms, and go on by that River side 'till you come to the little River, and by the side of that Stream, 'till you come to the Hedge that divides Mr. Durrant's Land belonging to Streel, and then by his Hedge Side, 'till you come to the New Inclosure taken from Echin Wood, which is all in Buxted; and then along Mr. Durrant's Hedge again 'till you come to Echin Wood. Across Echin Wood leaving three fields between that and the Lane, 'till you come to the Lane again; and then up the Lane by the Hoath's Hedge Side 'till you come to the Hundred House, and thro' the Hundred House Field to Pouncely Lane; and along the High-Way to the Meeting House - across the Stream along the High-Way, and round Cornwall's House - down to that River Side, just above the Furnace Pond; and then up from the River to the House where King lived, the last in Buxted.
1756SussexSussex by Emanuel BowenBuxteadEmanuel Bowen
Emanuel Bowen was a map- and print- seller, engraver and publisher. Britannia Depicta published (1720 to 1759) was probably his first publication and he must have been gratified at its success. He continued in business until his death in 1767, and at one time help the appointments of engraver to both George II and Louis XV. Nevertheless he died in reduced circumstances. His son Thomas carried on the business until c. 1790 when he died in the Clerkswell workhouse.
In 1756 Benjamin Martin published The Natural History of England which contained the Emanuel Bowen's map of Sussex.
29th Dec 1758HistoryBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
Thomas Turner's Diary
“Fryday, Dec. 29 - Mr. French and I set out for Buxted Place. We were prodigious civilly entertained with some bread and cheese, wine and beer. We was showed the house all over, which undoubtedly is a very fine place built in the modern taste.”
1762 to 1838HistoryBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
Extract from MacDermott's Buxted the Beautiful
Edward Egles, an enterprising manufacturer, founded a cotton manufactory in Lewes and another at Hempstead Mill, Buxted, where the business of cotton-wick spinning was carried on for many years. He died in 1838, aged 77, possessed of much landed property.
1763A New Map of [North] SussexA New Map of [North] Sussex by Thomas KitchinBuxtedThomas Kitchin
Thomas Kitchin, an engraver and publisher from c.1738 to 1776, held the appointment of Hydrographer to the King. His output was prolific. He engraved the maps of the British and French dominions in North America by John Mitchell (1755), which was used at the peace coucil at the end of the revolutionary war. In his later years he worked with his son (hence senior after his name in the c.1755 edition of the Small English Atlas). He died in 1784.
26th May 1764HistoryBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
Thomas Turner's Diary
“ “Saturday, May 26. In the morn I went over to Framfeld, and, after taking an account of the gloves, hatbands, favours, etc., I set out for the funeral of Alice Stevens, otherwise Smith, natural daughter of Ben Stevens, at whose house she died. The young woman's age was twenty-eight years, and I think I never saw any person lament the death of any one more than Ben Stevens did for this poor girl, his daughter. As soon as it was possible we set out for Buxted Church, where she was to be buried with a large company of people, she being carried on men's shoulders; we arrived about twenty minutes past four, and where we heard an excellent sermon preached by the Rev. Mr. Lewson, curate of Buxted, from the 27th verse 9th chapter, Epist. Heb. – 'And it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment.' The young woman was laid in the ground about fifty minutes past five.”
1769 to 1822HistoryBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
Extract from MacDermott's Buxted the Beautiful
Edward Daniel Clarke, son of the Rev. E. Clarke, rector of Buxted, born 1769, died 1822. As a young man he travelled with a friend named Cripps through Denmark, Sweden, Russia, Circassia, Asia Minor and Greece. His “Travels” were published between 1810 and 1823. He was the inventor of the gas blow-pipe, a treatise on which he published in 1819. He was appointed Professor of Mineralogy at Cambridge and was regarded as one of the most learned men of his day.
1783 to 1838HistoryBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
Extract from MacDermott's Buxted the Beautiful
George Dan Watson, born in Buxted in 1783, was a farm labourer, who, although quite uneducated and unable to read or write, was gifted with a wonderful memory and extraordinary power of calculation. He could answer the most abstruse question in arithmetic, but never could explain by what method he arrived at his answers. He could state where he had been and whom he had met on any day for 30 years, on what day any date of the month occurred during that time and what was the state of the weather. Watson knew the name of every town, village and hamlet in Sussex, the size of every church and weight of its tenor bell, the number of public-houses as well as the acreage and population of each parish in the county.
To exhibit his strange powers Watson was taken on a tour to the principal towns in Hampshire, Wiltshire, Gloucestershire and Somerset. He died at Maresfield in July, 1838.
1st Sep 1787[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by John CaryBucksteadJohn Cary
John Cary, apprenticed to William Palmer in 1770, went into business in 1783 as a publisher of maps, plans and road-books. He was highly successful and is referred to as the founder of the modern English School of Cartography by H.G. Fordham
c 1795Buxted, Sussex - c 1795Part of the 1 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1795 by William Gardner and Thomas GreamBuxted
1796 to 1851HistoryBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
The [Buxted] estate passed to George Medley's niece Julia Shuckburgh nee Evelyn (from 1796 until her death in 1797),
to her husband Sir George Shuckburgh (from 1797 until his death in 1804),
to his daughter Julia Jenkinson nee Shuckburgh (from 1804 until her death in 1814),
and on to her husband Cecil Cope Jenkinson, Earl of Liverpool (from 1814 until his death in 1851).
1801Population1063 peopleBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
1808[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by G.Cole and engraved by J.RoperBuxtedG. Cole
The British atlas; comprising a series of county maps…intended to illustrate and accompany 'The beauties of England and Wales' published 1808.
1811Population1292 peopleBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
1821Population1509 peopleBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
c 1825Buxted, Sussex - c 1825Part of the 1 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1825 by Christopher and John GreenwoodBuxted
1828 to 1829Pigot's Directory for Uckfield, Fletching, Buxted, Maresfield and Nutley - 1828 to 1829Pigot's 1828/1829 Directory for Uckfield, Fletching, Buxted, Maresfield and NutleyPigot's Directory
1831Population1642 peopleBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
1832 to 1834Pigot's Directory for Uckfield, Fletching, Buxted, Maresfield and Nutley - 1832 to 1834Pigot's 1832/33/34 Directory for Uckfield, Fletching, Buxted, Maresfield and NutleyPigot's Directory
c 1836HistoryBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
When the Earl of Liverpool was at Buxted Place he wished to remove the village elsewhere, so as to enlarge the park and render it more secluded. He accordingly offered to build new houses for the inhabitants anywhere in the parish they wished, if they would move, but the people refused, and stayed where they were. Lord Liverpool then declined to do any repairs to the property, and in course of time the houses fell into decay and became uninhabitable. The tenants had to move then, and the remains of the old village were swept away entirely. This was about 1836. Tradition has it that the Earl wished to remove the church as well, but public opinion was too strong for that vandalism, and the church [St Margaret's] stands to-day in its splendid isolation.
1837[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by Thomas MouleBuxtedThomas Moule
Thomas Moule was a bookseller. He published a number of important works on heraldry and antiquities, including Bibliotheca heraldica Brittaniae in 1822. The English Counties delineated; or, a topographical description of England has a complete series of county maps and was published by Thomas Moule in 1837
1839 to 1840Pigot's Directory for Uckfield, Fletching, Buxted, Maresfield and Nutley - 1839 to 1840Pigot's 1839/40 Directory for Uckfield, Fletching, Buxted, Maresfield and NutleyPigot's Directory
1840[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by Joshua Archer, Pentonville, LondonBuxtedDugdale
Dugdale's England and Wales Delineated
1841Population1574 peopleBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
6th Jun 1841CensusBuxted1841 Census
Buxted, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of Buxted which lies on the North side of the Turnpike road from Buxted Bridge to Hadlow Down and on the South side of the stream which runs by Tibbs Mill to Buxted Bridge.
Enumerator - George Eade; Registrar - John Jones
6th Jun 1841CensusBuxted1841 Census
Buxted, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of Buxted which lies on the North West side of the stream which forms the parish boundary of District No. 11 from Hempstead Mill to Tibbs Mill, and on the South side of the lane which runs from the upper end of Fiveashdown by the Rocks, Hurstwood, Chillies to Broom.
Enumerator - William Wildish; Registrar - John Jones
6th Jun 1841CensusBuxted1841 Census
Buxted, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of Buxted on the North side of District 12
Enumerator - Thomas Alchorne; Registrar - John Jones
6th Jun 1841CensusBuxted1841 Census
Buxted, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of Buxted which lies on the South side of the Turnpike Road from Buxted Bridge to Hadlow Down
Enumerator - John Farmes; Registrar - John Jones
c 1845HistoryBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
Queen Victoria and Prince Albert stayed at Buxted Place about 1845, when the Earl of Liverpool lived there.
1846HistoryBuxtedTurner's Uckfield
Uckfield made a separate piece of preferment [from Buxted], by an Order in Council
1851DirectoryBuxtedPost Office Directory
BUXTED, the Box place, is a parish in Loxfield Dorset Hundred, Uckfield Union, and Pevensey rape, with 1,574 acres, and a population of 1,574, assessed to the Income Tax at £6,555.
1851Population1694 peopleBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
30th Mar 1851CensusBuxted1851 Census
Buxted, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of Buxted from Hempstead Mill to Tibs Mill bounded on the East by the river taking Sleeches and following the footpath from Sleeches to Holders and Reeds Shop and then following the road to the Maypole and taking all the houses to the South of the above road and following the road to Parkhurst, Stone House and Rocks Cottage, Streeters Keepers Cottages and the whole of the houses on the Eastern side of the road from Tunbridge Wells to Coopers Green, Ringles Cross and Browns Lane.
Enumerator - John Duplock
30th Mar 1851CensusBuxted1851 Census
Buxted, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of Buxted lying North of 3c District to the extremity of the parish, including that part of Crowborough Warren that lies in the Parish of Buxted, Little Warren, Broom, Chillys Farm, Grovehurst and Hurst Wood.
Enumerator - John Alchorne
30th Mar 1851CensusBuxted1851 Census
Buxted, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of Buxted lying South of the Turnpike road from Buxted Bridge to Hadlow Down.
Enumerator - John Olive Tanner
30th Mar 1851CensusBuxted1851 Census
Buxted, Sussex
All that part of the Parish of Buxted lying to the North of the Turnpike road from Buxted Bridge to Hadlow Down and on the West by the river from the Buxted Bridge to Little Forge that part of the house that is in Buxted.
Enumerator - William Reed
1851 to 1929HistoryBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
The [Buxted] estate passed to Cecil Cope Jenkinson's eldest daughter Lady Catherine Harcourt nee Jenkinson (from 1851 until her death in 1877),
to her husband Colonel Francis Harcourt (from 1877 until his death in 1880),
to Cecil Cope Jenkinson's granddaughter Mary Portman nee Fitzwilliam (from 1880 until 1899),
then to her son The Honourable Henry Berkeley Portman (from 1899 until he died in 1923),
and then to his brother The Honourable Claud Berkeley Portman (from 1923 until he died in 1929).
1858HistoryBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
The railway from Lewes through Buxted was opened in 1858. The trains of that date had open carriages with "gridiron" seats, and a journey by rail could scarcely have been a joy-ride.
1861Population1624 peopleBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
1864East Sussex with the addition of the RailwaysEast Sussex with the addition of the Railways by Mark Antony LowerBuxtedLower's Sussex
Mark Antony Lower, son of Richard Lower, born 14th July 1813 in Heathfield, school master in the early 1830s at East Hoathly, Heathfield and Alfriston; and at Lewes from 1835 to 1867; and at Seaford 1867-1871. He then moved to London where he died in 1876.
He was a founder member of the Sussex Archeological Society and a prolific contributor to the collections of the society.
He published
1867DirectoryBuxtedPost Office Directory
BUXTED (the Box place) is a parish, in the Eastern division of the county, Loxfield Camden hundred, Uckfield union, Pevensey rape, Lewes county court district and archdeaconry, and Chichester diocese, near the Lewes road and the river Ouse, 2 miles north from Uckfield.
The parish comprises 8,043 acres; the population in 1861 was 1,624.
1871Population1868 peopleBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
1874DirectoryBuxtedPost Office Directory
BUXTED (the Box place) is a parish, in the Eastern division of the county, Loxfield Camden hundred, Uckfield union, Pevensey rape, Lewes county court district, rural deanery of Chailey, archdeaconry of Lewes, and Chichester diocese, near the Lewes road and the river Ouse, 2 miles north of Uckfield.
The parish comprises 8,943 acres; gross estimated rental, £8,148; rateable value, £6,834; the population in 1871 was 1,868.
c 1875Buxted, Sussex - c 1875Part of the 6 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1875 by Ordnance SurveyBuxted
1881Population1934 peopleBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
3rd Apr 1881CensusBuxted1881 Census
Buxted, Sussex
East of Buxted including Buxted Wood, Shepherds Hill, Hole Farm, Crowpets, Curtains Hill, Smallberry Hill, Hastingford, Howbourne and parts of Hadlow Down
3rd Apr 1881CensusBuxted1881 Census
Buxted, Sussex
Buxted Village, Buxted Hotel, Totease, Red Brook, Pound Green, Itching Wood and Tanyard Farm
3rd Apr 1881CensusBuxted1881 Census
Buxted, Sussex
North and West of Buxted including Buxted Park, Hog House, Coopers Green, Lephams Bridge, Five Ash Down, Bevenford, May Pole Inn, Hurstwood, Sleeches Farm and Rectory House
3rd Apr 1881CensusBuxted1881 Census
Buxted, Sussex
North of Buxted including Hendall Farm, Clay Gate Farm, Herons Ghyl, Old Land, Browns Brook, Duddleswell, Brown Nole Farm, Old Mill Farm, Crow & Gate, Forest Farm, Carrots Farm, Grovehurst Farm, Chileys Farm, Hurstwood, Stone House Farm and Red Tile Farm
1882DirectoryBuxtedKelly's Directory
BUXTED (the Box place) is a village and parish with a station on a branch of the London, Brighton and South Coast railway, in the Eastern division of the county, Loxfield Dorset hundred, Uckfield union, Pevensey rape, Lewes county court district, rural deanery of Pevensey (third division), archdeaconry of Lewes and diocese of Chichester, 2 miles north from Uckfield and 9 1/2 north-east from Lewes.
The area is 8,943 acres ; rate­able value, £9,246 ; the population in 1881 was 1,934
1884HistoryBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
St Mary's Church, erected and endowed by the late Rev. A.D. Wagner, in the modern village of Buxted, is a small edifice built of large flints. It was consecrated in 1884. There is a fine oak pulpit in the Church
1888Brooker's Guide and Directory - 1888Brooker's 1888 Guide and Directory of BuxtedBrooker's Guide
1890HistoryBuxtedFirmin's Guide

Buxted is about four miles from Crowborough. The way to it is over the Beacon by the Uckfield Road, or by a road branching off just before reaching the Crow and Gate Inn, which passes through the pretty village of High Hurst Wood.

The name is said to be derived from the Anglo-Saxon boc and stede - place of beech trees.

It is a picturesque village, situated on much lower ground than Crowborough. There is a fine old mansion in the park, which was once the residence of Lord Liverpool, The park is well wooded and full of deer. There is no mention of Buxted in Domesday Book. Mr. Lower gives the following account of it: - "Buxted includes part of the forest of Ashdown, and lies in the sandstone of the forest ridge. The manor was held during the reign of the earlier Edwards by the family of Maryness.

"The village is small and scattered. Hoghouse, situated on the north side of the park, near the entrance from High Hurst Wood, is noticeable from having on its front a stone carved with a rude figure of a hog, with date 1581. Ralph Hogge, a celebrated ironfounder, had great works in the neighbourhood.

"Casting and boring before Hogge's time was unknown. The older ordnance was made of iron bars, placed together with great compactness, and surrounded with strong hoops, after the manner of a barrel. Buxted was one of the chief centres of the Sussex iron trade. Richard Woodman, a Protestant martyr, was a great ironmaster at Warbleton, and is believed to have been a Buxted man.

1891Population2039 peopleBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful
5th Apr 1891CensusBuxted1891 Census
Buxted, Sussex
Commencing at the Stream of Water at Red Brook and following the same to the Hodges Turnpike Rd and taking all the houses on Buxted Wood to the East of the same Stream then crossing the Turnpike Rd and following the Parish Rd to Shepherds Hill thence to Pounsley following the boundary of the parish between Buxted and Framfield to Burnthouse thence between Buxted and Mayfield taking the whole of the Wilderness Farm House thence to Buxted Lodge and taking all houses that are on the West of the above boundary between Buxted and Mayfield from Buxted Lodge crossing the Hodges Turnpike Rd and following the Parish Rd down to Buxted Mill stream thence following the Mill stream taking all houses South of the Mill Stream to Red Brook Howbourne and Cottages, 5 Chimneys, Toll Farm, Curtains Hill, Smallberry Hill and Foxhole.
5th Apr 1891CensusBuxted1891 Census
Buxted, Sussex
Comprises that part of Buxted commencing at the Cottage at the top of 5 Ash Down thence to Hendall, Wood Cottages, Hendall Farm House, Farm Cottages and all the Houses in Buxted to the Boundary between Maresfield and Buxted this includes Duddleswell, Barnesden, Brownsbrook, Crowsnest, Old Lands Mansion and Farm House, Herons Ghyll and both sides Main Road to Crow & Gate, from thence to Crowborough Warren taking all Houses to the Boundary between Withyham, Rotherfield and Buxted, from thence to Little Warren and Crowborough Beacon taking all Houses on the left of Main Road, from thence to Hurstwood taking Chillies, Broom and all Houses both sides to Maypole Cottages, from thence to Parkhurst, Stone House Farm and Cottages to Fern Bank.
5th Apr 1891CensusBuxted1891 Census
Buxted, Sussex
Commencing on the road leading to Buxted Wood thence to Redbrook following the Stream, West crossing the Hodges Turnpike Road taking all the Houses West of the of the Turnpike Road, then to High Common, Shepherds Hill, Lowlands, Firelocks, Bailey Pitte, Itchingwood and Tanyard to the Mill Stream following that to Buxted Bridge taking all the Houses both sides of the road Buxted Street and New Road, Tanyard Lane to Grocer's Shop, Pound Green, Popes Wood, High Common, Potters Green, 1/2 Anchor Hill, Railway Station and Cottage, Totease Farm House and St Margarets House.
1901Population2038 peopleBuxtedBuxted The Beautiful

The Weald is at  Database version 13.3 which has ongoing updates to the 392,678 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,308 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 247 books loaded in the previous version

Fasthosts web site  
British Libarary  
High Weald  
Sussex Family History Group  
Sussex Record Society  
Sussex Archaeological Society  
Kent Archaeological Society  
Mid Kent Marriages  
Genes Reunited  
International Genealogical Index  
National Archives  

of the