The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex
Historical notes about Mayfield
980HistoryMayfieldBell-Irving
"Saint Dunstan, soe the storie goes,
Caught old Sathanus by the nose,
He pull'd full hard, and made hym roar
Soe he was heard three miles or more."
1086HistoryMayfieldDomesday Book
The Land of the Count of Mortain (Pevensey Rape)
The Count holds Mesewelle [probably Mayfield] himself. Godwin held it. Then and now for 4 hides. Land for 2 ploughs. They are there, with 4 villagers and 5 smallholders.
In lordship 1 plough.
From wood land 30 pigs.
Value before 1066 £4; now 40s.
Of this land, William of Warenne holds 3 virgates of land and 1 mill.

extract from the Domesday Book
1 hide was equivalent to land for one family or 120 acres.
1 hide equals 4 virgates.
1260HistoryMayfieldFoster
Mayfield was already an important place and in 1260 (in the reign of Henry III), Archbishop [of Canterbury] Boniface obtained a charter for a Thursday Market and a three day fair around St Dunstan's Day (May 19th)
from Chapter Three - The Middle Ages - Mayfield a History by Major R. C. G. Foster, M.C.
1295Tax listMayfieldBell-Irving
In 1295 Edward I levied a universal tax for the expenses of his Scottish War and the list of the amounts paid by the Maghefeld [Mayfield] landowners is still in existence.
1295Tax listMayfieldBell-Irving
In 1295Edward I levied a universal tax for the expenses of his Scottish War and the list of the amounts paid by the Byvylham [Bibleham] landowners is still in existence.
1297 to 1303HistoryMayfieldFoster
Three times during his reign - in 1297, 1299 and 1303 - King Edward I visited Mayfield
from Chapter Three - The Middle Ages - Mayfield a History by Major R. C. G. Foster, M.C.
1319HistoryMayfieldFoster
100 quarters of wheat and 200 of oats were collected at Mayfield and sent to Lewes as part of the Archbishop of Canterbury's share in the supply of Edward II's army for the Bannockburn campaign.
from Chapter Three - The Middle Ages - Mayfield a History by Major R. C. G. Foster, M.C.
1328Tax listMayfieldBell-Irving
In 1328 Edward III levied a universal tax to pay for wars against the Scots and the list of the amounts paid by the Maghefeld [Mayfield] and Wadehurst [Wadhurst] landowners is still in existence.
1328Tax listMayfieldBell-Irving
In 1328 Edward III levied a universal tax to pay for wars against the Scots and the list of the amounts paid by the Byvelham [Bibleham] landowners is still in existence.
1332HistoryMayfieldBell-Irving
Simon Meopham [Archbishop of Canterbury 1328-1333] held a Provincial Synod called "Consilium Maghfeldense" at Mayfield to regulate festivals and holidays, proof enough it was then a goodly town, since it must have been able to afford accommodation for the numerous retinues of bishops and other great dignitaries of Church, who, from all parts of Southern England, must have been present on the occassion. .......
The result of the meeting appears in a circular letter addressed by the Archbishop particularily to the Bishop of Salisbury. In it he affirms that "holidays, which were designed for the promotion of God's glory, are too often profaned by rioting and drunkenness and all manner of iniquity."
He enjoins the clergy to represent to those under them to observe these feasts with reverend solemnity, and desires each diocesan to teach the people "that the Lord's Day is to begin on the Saturday before, but must not on that account be confounded with the Jewish Sabbath."
1332Tax listMayfieldBell-Irving
In 1332 Edward III levied a universal tax to pay for wars against the Irish and the Scots and the list of the amounts paid by the Maghefeld [Mayfield] and Wadehurst [Wadhurst] landowners is still in existence.
1523Tax listMayfieldBell-Irving
In 1528 Henry VIII levied a universal tax for the expenses of his wars against King Louis of France and the list of the amounts paid by the inhabitants of Mayfield is still in existence.
1610[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by John Norden and augmented by John SpeedMayfeildJohn Speed
The first engraved maps of the counties of Great Britain were the work of Christopher Saxton who, under the authority of the Privy Council, surveyed the English counties in Elizabethan times, from 1574 to 1578. In 1593 he was followed by John Norden who projected an ambitious scheme for a complete series of county histories. He published before his death a number of counties - Middlesex, Hertfordshire, Essex, Northampton, Cornwall, Sussex and Surrey. John Speed's map of Sussex is based upon Norden's map and was engraved by Jodocus Hondius. It occupies pages nine and ten of John Speed's Atlas entitled "The Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine", is 20 1/4 inches by 15 1/4 inches in size and shows additionally an interesting plan of Chichester and a spirited representation of the Battle of Hastings.
1645[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by Jan BlaeuMayfeildJan Blaeu
1695[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by Robert MordenMayfieldRobert Morden
Robert Morden was a London bookseller from 1669 until his death in 1703. He specialised in the geographical field and was himself something of a cartographer and a publisher. Throughout the 17th and most of the 18th centuries, there was little distinction between the activity of book or print-selling and that of publishing: many booksellers were also printers or engravers. They undertook the sale of each others' work and often combined to meet the high cost of publishing a new map or reissue of an old atlas, even if the original plates were still available. This map was published in Brittania: a chorographical description of Great Britain and Ireland by William Camden.
c 1724Mayfield, Sussex - c 1724Part of the 1 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1724 by Richard BudgenMayfield
seat of John Baker, Gentleman
1750SussexSussex by Thomas KitchinMayfieldThomas Kitchin
Thomas Kitchin, an engraver and publisher from c.1738 to 1776, held the appointment of Hydrographer to the King. His output was prolific. He engraved the maps of the British and French dominions in North America by John Mitchell (1755), which was used at the peace coucil at the end of the revolutionary war. In his later years he worked with his son (hence senior after his name in the c.1755 edition of the Small English Atlas). He died in 1784.
1763A New Map of [North] SussexA New Map of [North] Sussex by Thomas KitchinMayfieldThomas Kitchin
Thomas Kitchin, an engraver and publisher from c.1738 to 1776, held the appointment of Hydrographer to the King. His output was prolific. He engraved the maps of the British and French dominions in North America by John Mitchell (1755), which was used at the peace coucil at the end of the revolutionary war. In his later years he worked with his son (hence senior after his name in the c.1755 edition of the Small English Atlas). He died in 1784.
1st Sep 1787[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by John CaryMayfieldJohn Cary
John Cary, apprenticed to William Palmer in 1770, went into business in 1783 as a publisher of maps, plans and road-books. He was highly successful and is referred to as the founder of the modern English School of Cartography by H.G. Fordham
c 1795Mayfield, Sussex - c 1795Part of the 1 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1795 by William Gardner and Thomas GreamMayfield
1808[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by G.Cole and engraved by J.RoperMayfieldG. Cole
The British atlas; comprising a series of county maps…intended to illustrate and accompany 'The beauties of England and Wales' published 1808.
c 1825Mayfield, Sussex - c 1825Part of the 1 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1825 by Christopher and John GreenwoodMayfield
1837[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by Thomas MouleMayfieldThomas Moule
Thomas Moule was a bookseller. He published a number of important works on heraldry and antiquities, including Bibliotheca heraldica Brittaniae in 1822. The English Counties delineated; or, a topographical description of England has a complete series of county maps and was published by Thomas Moule in 1837
1840[North] Sussex[North] Sussex by Joshua Archer, Pentonville, LondonMayfieldDugdale
Dugdale's England and Wales Delineated
6th Jun 1841CensusMayfield1841 Census
Mayfield, Sussex
From the Sussex House Garden taking the Cottages in the fields and then to the Pound Hill taking all the Houses on both sides of the High Street of the Village of Mayfield and continuing down Fletching Street taking the Houses on both sides as far as the Rose & Crown and the Yew Tree House then taking Martins Cottages and from thence to the Vicarage.
Enumerator James Fenner and Registrar W. Wallis
6th Jun 1841CensusMayfield1841 Census
Mayfield, Sussex
From Tanners Green to Scotfords Bridge and from thence by the Boundary of the Parish to Bunghurst and from thence to Herrings leaving Herrings House come down the road to Old Mill and from thence by the stream to Well Brook Bridge then up the road to Stone Cross and take the under road to Mayfield as far as the turning at the Chapel then along the South Street or Back Lane taking in the houses on both sides of the road as far as Mr Busses then take the footpath to Sandles and along the lane back to Tanners Green.
Enumerator Henry Martin and Registrar W. Wallis
6th Jun 1841CensusMayfield1841 Census
Mayfield, Sussex
From Cinder Hill to Tide Brook following the Boundary to Mark Cross and then take the road to Stile House, and by the Old Turnpike road to Lake Street and from thence to the Furnace House through the Vicarge Mead to Pococks and back to Cinder Hill.
Enumerator James Thomsett and Registrar W. Wallis
6th Jun 1841CensusMayfield1841 Census
Mayfield, Sussex
From Verralls House at the Crouch to Parkham Water Mill taking the two cottages in the road and from thence to Sharnden through Coom Wood to the Boundary of the Parish, then follow the Boundary down to Withunden and from thence to Scotsford Bridge and from thence by the road back to Verralls at the Crouch.
Enumerator Thomas Durrant, jun. and Registrar W. Wallis
6th Jun 1841CensusMayfield1841 Census
Mayfield, Sussex
From the Lower House Garden to Well Brook taking the Six Cottages at Miss and from thence to Butchers Cross Gate then take the Rotherfield road to Mr Thomas Bridgers taking his house then about two roads further up the road turn in the gate that leads to Mr W. Marchants taking his house, then follow the boundary of the Parish crossing the Rotherfield road and continue by the Boundary as far as Stile House then turn down the Old Turnpike to the Furnace Stream and up the road to the New Turnpike, then cross the fields at the back of the Old Place to the Lower House Garden.
Enumerator Charles Fennel and Registrar W. Wallis
6th Jun 1841CensusMayfield1841 Census
Mayfield, Sussex
From Well Brook Bridge to Butchers Cross Gate, taking all the South, and from thence take the road to the Gate House, taking all on the South East, and then follow the Boundary of the Parish to Maynards Down and from thence to Herrings, from Herrings taking the footpath to Allens and from thence follow the footpath to Well Brook, then keep up the stream to the bridge.
Enumerator William Olive and Registrar W. Wallis
6th Jun 1841CensusMayfield1841 Census
Mayfield, Sussex
From Butchers Cross Gate by the Turnpike road to the New Church on Hadlow Down taking all on the North and North East side of the road from thence by the Boundary of the Parish at the Little Forge and then follow the Boundary to Brick Barn Hill and from there to Stone Mill taking all the houses on the road leading from Huggots Furnace Mill to Butchers Cross Gate.
Enumerator James Thomsett and Registrar W. Wallis
6th Jun 1841CensusMayfield1841 Census
Mayfield, Sussex
From Hadlowdown Church by the boundary of the Parish to the Wilderness House and thence to Motts Mill and from thence to the Turnpike road leading from Mayfield to Lewes over Mayfield Common, thence by the Turnpike road to the Crossways at Croust and take all the houses on the West and North West of the road and from Croust back to Hadlowdown Church taking all on the South and South West of the road.
Enumerator Thomas Weston and Registrar W. Wallis
1851DirectoryMayfieldPost Office Directory
MAYFIELD is a parish and town on the high road from Tunbridge to Hailsham, and the south, 8 1/2 miles south of Tunbridge Wells, 5 north of Uckfield, and 42 from London, in Loxfield Pelham Hundred, Pevensey rape, and Uckfield Union, with 13,570 acres, and a popu­lation of 2,943, assessed to the Income Tax at £9,731.
...........
30th Mar 1851CensusMayfield1851 Census
Mayfield, Sussex
From the Lower House Garden taking the cottages in the field and then to the Pound Hill taking all the houses on both sides of the High Street of the Village of Mayfield and continuing down Fletching Street, taking the house on both sides as far as the Rose and Crown and the Yew Trees House, then take the Bakers Cottages and from there to the Vicarage.
Enumerator - James Fenner
30th Mar 1851CensusMayfield1851 Census
Mayfield, Sussex
From Hadlow Down Church by the boundary of the Parish to the Wilderness House and then to Mots Mill and from thence to the Turnpike Road leading from Mayfield to Lewes over Mayfield Common, then by the TurnPike Road to the Cross Ways at Croust, and take all the house on the West and North West of the road and from Croust back to Hadlow Down Church taking all on the South and South West of the road.
Enumerator - Stephen Hooker
30th Mar 1851CensusMayfield1851 Census
Mayfield, Sussex
From Wellbrook Bridge to Butcher's Cross Gate taking all on the South, and from thence take the road to the Gate House taking all on the South East, and then follow the boundary of the Parish to Maynards Down and from there to Herrings, from Herrings taking the footpath to Allens and from there follow the footpath to Wellbrook then up the stream to the bridge.
Enumerator - Joel Weston
30th Mar 1851CensusMayfield1851 Census
Mayfield, Sussex
From the Lower House Garden to Wellbrook taking the six cottages at Miss, and from there to Butcher's Cross Gate then take the Rotherfield road to Mr Thomas Bridger's taking the house, then about 10 roods futher up the road turn in the gate that leads to Mr. William Marchant's taking his house, then follow the boundary of the Parish as far as Stile House, then take down the old Turnpike Road to the Furnace Stream and up the road to the new Turnpike then cross the fields at the back of the Old Place to the Lower House.
Enumerator - William Weston
30th Mar 1851CensusMayfield1851 Census
Mayfield, Sussex
From Verrall's House at the Crouch to the Water Mill taking the four cottages in the wood from there to Sharnden through Coomb Wood to the boundary of the Parish then follow the boundary to Witherenden and from there to Scotsford Bridge from there by the road to Verrall's at Crouch.
Enumerator - William Packham
30th Mar 1851CensusMayfield1851 Census
Mayfield, Sussex
From Cinderhill to Tidebrook follow the boundary to Mark Cross, then take the road to Stile House and by the old Turnpike Road to Lake Street, and from there to Furnace House through the Vicarage Wood to Pococks, and back to Cinderhill taking all the houses in Colkens Mill.
Enumerator - James Tompsett
30th Mar 1851CensusMayfield1851 Census
Mayfield, Sussex
From Tanners Green to Scotsford Bridge by the boundary of the Parish to Bungehurst, from there to Herrings House come down the road to Old Mill, from there by the stream to Millbrook Bridge, then up the road to Stone Cross taking the under road to Mayfield as far as the turning at the Chapel, then along the South Street or Back Lane taking all the house on the sides of the road as far as Mr. Busses, then take the foot path to Sandals and along the lane back to Tanners Green.
Enumerator - George Fenner
30th Mar 1851CensusMayfield1851 Census
Mayfield, Sussex
From Butcher's Cross Gate by the Turnpike Road to St Marks Church in Hadlow Down, taking all on the North and North West side of the road, from thence by the boundary of the Parish to the Little Forge and then follow the boundary to Brick Barn Hill, and from there to Stone Mill, taking all the houses on the road leading from Huggetts Furnace Mill to Butcher's Cross Gate.
Enumerator - John Weston
1864East Sussex with the addition of the RailwaysEast Sussex with the addition of the Railways by Mark Antony LowerMayfieldLower's Sussex
Mark Antony Lower, son of Richard Lower, born 14th July 1813 in Heathfield, school master in the early 1830s at East Hoathly, Heathfield and Alfriston; and at Lewes from 1835 to 1867; and at Seaford 1867-1871. He then moved to London where he died in 1876.
He was a founder member of the Sussex Archeological Society and a prolific contributor to the collections of the society.
He published
1867DirectoryMayfieldPost Office Directory
MAYFIELD is a parish town and polling place for the Eastern division of the county, 5 miles south-west from Wadhurst station, 55 from London, 8 1/2 south from Tunbridge Wells, and 9 north from Uckfield, in Loxfield Pelham hundred, Pevensey rape, Uckfield union, Tunbridge Wells county court district diocese of Chichester, archdeaconry and rural deanery of Lewes.
..........
The area is 13,604 acres, and in 1861 the population was 2,688.
...............
1874DirectoryMayfieldPost Office Directory
MAYFIELD is a parish, town, and polling place for the Eastern division of the county, 5 miles south-west from Wadhurst station, on the South Eastern Railway, 55 from London, 8 1/2 south from Tunbridge Wells, and 9 north-east from Uckfield, in Loxfield Pelham hundred, Pevensey rape, Uckfield union, Tunbridge Wells county court district, rural deanery of Tunbridge Wells, archdeaconry of Lewes, and diocese of Chichester.
..............
The area is 13,604 acres; gross estimated rental, .£14,613; rateable value, £12,341 ; and in 1871 the population was 2,828.
................
c 1875Mayfield, Sussex - c 1875Part of the 6 inch to 1 mile map of Sussex produced in 1875 by Ordnance SurveyMayfield
3rd Apr 1881CensusMayfield1881 Census
Mayfield, Sussex
South East of Mayfield including Luckhurst Crouch, Merry Weather, Sharnden, Bibelham, Great Broadhurst, Little Broadhurst, Gill House, Little Bainden and Scotsford Hill
3rd Apr 1881CensusMayfield1881 Census
Mayfield, Sussex
The Village of Mayfield including the Congregational Chapel, North Street, Star Inn, Middle House, High Street, Fletching Street, Rose & Crown and The Convent
3rd Apr 1881CensusMayfield1881 Census
Mayfield, Sussex
The Village of Mayfield including Bainden Farm, Moat Farm, Bungehurst, Holborn House, Sawyers Arms, West Street, Back Lane and Hoopers Farms House
3rd Apr 1881CensusMayfield1881 Census
Mayfield, Sussex
North West of Mayfield including Myths, Cowdens, Turks Farm, Woolbridges Farm, Pages Farm, Horleigh Green, Freemans, Brook Farm, Salters Green, Spitlye Farm, Chequers Arms, Park Farm and Ellis Farm
3rd Apr 1881CensusMayfield1881 Census
Mayfield, Sussex
South of Mayfield including Wellbrook Cottage, Mears Farm, Allens Farm, Buttons Farm, Ironhurst, Scocoes and Five Ashes
3rd Apr 1881CensusMayfield1881 Census
Mayfield, Sussex
West of Mayfield including Summer Hill, Coles Hall, Scocoes, Hadlow Down and Wilderness Lane
3rd Apr 1881CensusMayfield1881 Census
Mayfield, Sussex
South West of Mayfield including Butchers Cross, Huggets Furnace, Hastingford, Little Forge, Stocklands, Pigsfoot Farm, Brick Kiln, Hadlow Down and Five Ashes
3rd Apr 1881CensusMayfield1881 Census
Mayfield, Sussex
North of Mayfield including Tidebrook, Rushers Cross, Lake Street, Mouse Hall, Little Trodgers, Renhurst, Holy Trinity Orphanage and Colkins Mill Street
1882DirectoryMayfieldKelly's Directory
MAYFIELD is a parish, town and polling-place for the Eastern division of the county, situated on the summit of a hill, affording a rich and varied prospect, 5 miles south-west from Wadhurst station, 45 from London, 8 1/2 South from Tunbridge Wells and 9 north-east from Uckfield, with a station within half a mile on the line from Tunbridge Wells to Eastbourne and is in Loxfield Pelham hundred, Pevensey rape, Uckfield union, Tunbridge Wells county court district, rural deanery of Dallington, archdeaconry of Lewes and diocese of Chichester.
............
The area is 13,604 acres ; rateable value, £14,963 ; and in 1881 the population was 2,912.
...............
1886W. T. Pike's Blue Book and Directory - 1886W. T. Pike's 1885-1886 Blue Book and DirectoryPike's Blue Book
1890HistoryMayfieldFirmin's Guide

Mayfield is about five miles from Crowborough and two from Rotherfield. The way to it is by the Station Road and through Rotherfield. There are two buildings in the village of historical interest: the archiepiscopal palace and the church.

The building of the Palace is attributed to S. Dunstan, but there is little or no foundation for the assertion. It was a favourite resort, pre-viously to the Reformation, of the archbishops, three of whom died there. Provincial Councils were also held in it.

It remained in the possession of the Church till the reign of Henry VIII., when, like many another valuable property of the Church, it fell into the hands of that voracious potentate, being surrendered to him by Archbishop Cranmer. In 1545 the King granted it to Sir Henry North, and he sold it to Sir John Gresham, through whom it descended to Sir Thomas Gresham (the founder of the Royal Exchange), who right royally entertained Queen Elizabeth within its walls.

Subsequently it was allowed to fall into decay, and the stones were removed from it and used in the construction of houses in the village. For some time it was occupied as a farmhouse, and then purchased by the Duchess of Leeds, who presented it to an order of Roman Catholic nuns. It has been rebuilt as a convent and school at considerable cost.

5th Apr 1891CensusMayfield1891 Census
Mayfield, Sussex
Boundary Commencing at Butchers Cross by the old Turnpike to the Church at Hadlow Down taking the North and North West side of the road to the boundary of the Parish at Little Forge still keeping the boundary to Brick Barn Hill and Stone Mill.
Contents All the Cottages from Huggetts Furnace to Butchers Cross also Stonehurst cottage near Stone Mill, Stockyards, Woodreed, Hadlow House, Little and Great Broadreed, Cryers, Skippers Hill, Summers Hill, Brick Kiln, Pigsfoot, and Stocklands.
The Whole in the Parliamentary Division of Rye.
5th Apr 1891CensusMayfield1891 Census
Mayfield, Sussex
Name Holy Trinity.
Description Boys' Orphanage.
Where Situated Pennybridge, Mayfield
5th Apr 1891CensusMayfield1891 Census
Mayfield, Sussex
Boundary Commencing at Miss Cottages, the Station Road, High Street, Fletching Street to Yew Tree Farm and Rose and Crown Inn, The Warren, Vicarage, Gravel Pit Cottages in West Street, Cottages in Rotherfield Lane and North Street.
The Whole in the Parliamentary Division of Rye.
5th Apr 1891CensusMayfield1891 Census
Mayfield, Sussex
Boundary Being that part commencing at Tanners Green to Scotsford Bridge, keeping the parish boundary to Bungehurst and Herrings Down to Old Mill then keep the stream to Wellbrook Bridge up the road to Stone Cross taking the under road to Mayfield Village as far as the Baptist Chapel taking all the houses both sides of the Back lane to Mr Benjamin Buss's then keep the foot path to Sandles and back to Tanners Green.
Contents Comprising Bainden, Hunts, Moat Farm, Moat Mill, Old Mill and Cottages on the Upper part of Old Mill Farm, Cranesdens, School House and Claytons.
The Whole in the Parliamentary Division of Rye.
5th Apr 1891CensusMayfield1891 Census
Mayfield, Sussex
Boundary Being that part commencing at Cinders Hill Farm to Goffs and Tidebrook following the Parish boundary to Mark Cross taking the Road to Stile House then taking the houses both sides of the road to Lake Street keeping the Old Turnpike Road to the Furnace House through the Vicarage Wood to Pococks then keep the road to Cinder Hill.
Contents Comprising all the Cottages at Colkins Mill, also Pennybridge, Coldharbour, Little Trodgers, Renhurst, Highfields, Mousehall Farm and Mill, Stone House and the Priests House at Holy Trinity Orphanage.
The Whole in the Parliamentary Division of Rye.
5th Apr 1891CensusMayfield1891 Census
Mayfield, Sussex
Boundary Being that part commencing at Home View, Luckhurst Crouch then to Merryweather Mill taking the two Cottages in the Wood, then to Shanden through Combwood to the boundary of the Parish at the Forge Farm, also keeping the boundary of the Parish to Scotsford Bridge back to Luckhurst Crouch and Home View taking the two Cottages right and left at Scotsford Hill.
Contents Comprising Winters, Little Bainden, Gillhope, Froghole, Little and Great Broadhurst, Turks, Bivelham, Pound, Golds, Hareholt, Hawksden, Fairoak, Amber Cottages, Park Cottage, St Hampdens Lodge, Rolfs, Doozes and Batswood.
The Whole in the Parliamentary Division of Rye.
5th Apr 1891CensusMayfield1891 Census
Mayfield, Sussex
Boundary Being that part commencing at the Myths to Wellbrook then to Butchers Cross taking the Rotherfield Road to the Green and Freemans Farm and Mr Hoaths Street Farm, then taking the boundary of the Parish to Stile House then taking the Road to the Furnace, crossing the fields at the back of Convent to the Myths.
Contents Comprising the four Cottages at the Myths, the Railway Station and Hotel, Downford, Pages, Crabb, Livetts, Holmstalls and Cottages, Mount Pleasant, Upper Cowdens, Stone Lodge, Hutchings, Woolbridge, reading, Salters Green,Mr and Mrs Grey Argos Hill, Spitlye, Wallis, Ellis, Park Farm, Great Trodgers, and Victoria Cottages in Love Lane.
The Whole in the Parliamentary Division of Rye.
5th Apr 1891CensusMayfield1891 Census
Mayfield, Sussex
Boundary Being that part commening at Hadlow Down Church to the boundary of the parish to the Wildeness Houses. Continuing to the Nursery and to the old Turnpike Road leading from Mayfield to Lewes keeping the Old Turnpike to Croust Corner.
Contents Comprising all Cottages on the South of that and the Cottages at the Nursery also Loudwell, Spoods, Broomfields, Mayfield Flat, Dudsland, Scocoes, Coles Hall and Croust.
The Whole in the Parliamentary Division of Rye.
5th Apr 1891CensusMayfield1891 Census
Mayfield, Sussex
Name Old Palace.
Description Convent chool.
Where Situated Mayfield, Sussex
5th Apr 1891CensusMayfield1891 Census
Mayfield, Sussex
Boundary Being that part commencing at Wellbrook Bridge then taking the Road to Butchers Cross including all on the South Side to the Gate House taking the Boundary of the Parish to Maynards Down and Herrings Farm then taking the Foot Path to Allens Farm and Wellbrook.
Contents Comprising all the Cottages on the South Side of the Road at Five Ashes, also Mears, Lower Cowdens, New Pin, Leeds, Froghole, Chequers, Horne Lodge, Buttons, Isinghurst and Lodge Gate.
The Whole in the Parliamentary Division of Rye.

The Weald is at  Database version 12.4 which has ongoing updates to the 379,932 people; 9,000 places; 613 maps; 3,308 pictures, engravings and photographs; and 244 books loaded in the previous version

Fasthosts web site  
ODNB  
British Libarary  
High Weald  
Sussex Family History Group  
Sussex Record Society  
Sussex Archaeological Society  
Kent Archaeological Society  
Mid Kent Marriages  
Ancestry  
Genes Reunited  
International Genealogical Index  
National Archives  

Top
of the
page